… do most people think that women just make babies and sandwiches??????? oh i mean GOSH MY MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN! Ugh, what a condescending and just generally unnecessary comment.
i think that blog is kind of unnecessary lol?? why is it somehow noteworthy that the person who created (novel/movie/historical movement xyz) was a woman? i didn’t know who did most of the things listed, but that doesn’t mean i assumed they were done by a man, or like i’m going to go WHAT?? AROO?? WOMEN ARE SO COOL when presented with that information. that individual person regardless of gender was cool, maybe
goils goils goils
The beauty of this is if there was a men’s version people would get all up in arms about it.
For real. I’m pretty sure a lot of people probably don’t have their heads up their asses and are… pretty aware that WOMEN DO THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. If there was a male version, a bunch of people would be like “yeah but men doing things is commonplace, it’s more exciting when women do it!!” which would kick their own cause back to the stone age. Lots of women do lots of things! Some of those things are good and some of those things are bad! I am impressed with the good stuff and disappointed with the bad stuff! The fact that there might be a ~women~ behind it has no bearing on my decision and the fact that there might be a ~man~ has no bearing either. idgaf who makes/does/thinks/poops what and I can’t wait until we live in a world where both sexism and feminism, and anything else that makes a huge honking deal about someone’s sex/gender, are non-existent. Because it shouldn’t matter. On both sides.
You are all right. It shouldn’t matter. Anyone who hasn’t had their head up their ass should be aware that women probably contributed a lot to the arts, politics, science/technology, etc.
But guess what. A lot of people DO have their heads up their asses.
I was inspired by this anonymous troll note on fucknopennyarcade:
You are now aware that virtually every piece of technology in your room was invented and designed by men, by using it, you are essentially being fed by the hand of man.
As the maintainer of FNPA then pointed out, that wasn’t remotely true. Ada Lovelace invented computer programming. Joyce K. Reynolds authored or co-authored many of the underlying protocols of the Internet, including Telnet. And Wi-Fi would not have been possible without Hedy Lamarr.
Why is it that in high school science, I was made to learn that a guy named Tycho Brahe had the wrong idea about the structure of the solar system, but I just found out on Tumblr last week that a woman named Cecilia Payne discovered that the Sun is made of hydrogen (and by extension so most stars and thus hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe). Why is Galileo’s fight with the Church is lauded as a noble struggle between science and superstition, but the fact that Payne’s doctoral advisor tried to persuade her from publishing her conclusions because another theory about the sun’s composition was more widely accepted by scientists at the time is not held up as evidence that scientists can be just as pig-headed? Why is it that the only woman my science textbooks ever mentioned was Marie Curie, the one that had two Nobel Prizes, cold hard proof that her contributions can’t be ignored or glossed over?
Until gender is completely unimportant, it IS important. Until men stop thinking “Women’s studies? What’s there to study?” and publicly taunt women because “men did everything,” I’m going to do what I can to prove them wrong.
- tinytusks reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid and added:
- katyamola likes this
- flutterbiesandgutterspies reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid
- mosesparter reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid and added:
- ellenjaspar likes this
- thecolossalennui reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid
- ko7l likes this
- beautyandthebeast likes this
- poiuytrewq13 likes this
- redrosehips likes this
- bethbluestocking reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists and added:
- rosewolfs likes this
- nebulust likes this
- themythsaredead likes this
- spititoutproudly reblogged this from shallowxgraves
- shallowxgraves reblogged this from bohemianarthouse
- buriedliketreasure reblogged this from tsarevich
- thespacemuseum reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid
- ravenqueers reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid and added:
- tomatoato likes this
- ravenqueers likes this
- gothicfeverdream reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid
- cherishedsaulie reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid
- inperpetualbloom likes this
- galaxyforest likes this
- a2kdavis likes this
- aguitademamey likes this
- wherethingsbreakdown reblogged this from ragnell
- darksstars likes this
- thesadnessofpencils reblogged this from stfusexists and added:
- janineparmesan likes this
- nethenclawpuff reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid and added:
- rambunctiously reblogged this from stfusexists and added:
- congratulations-its-me reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid
- congratulations-its-me likes this
- fuckyeahfeminists reblogged this from rosietint
- ominious-ominae reblogged this from loonybinshuttle and added:
- likeelectricthroughtheground likes this
- avoca2 likes this
- ragnell reblogged this from ladiesmakingcomics
- zesticola likes this
- gavinsaurusrex likes this
- loonybinshuttle reblogged this from awesomestuffwomendid and added:
- nerdling likes this
- airawyn likes this
- fuckyeahbranchs likes this
- lag-ja-gale likes this
- eleniwins likes this
- cmshaw likes this
- wonderbecky likes this